Monday 2 June 2008

Principal for a Week

Only five more days of school... And about four years worth of work to catch up on...

Needless to say, I wasn't planning on spending much time in the classroom this week. I wrote the school's teacher training manual before I left four years ago. It hasn't been updated since despite the many changes that have occurred in the school, so the teachers weren't even looking at it anymore. The owner asked me to update it before I left, as well as changing the parent communication book, teacher curriculum planning books, report cards and the teacher's resources CD. Basically, do everything that the principal should have been doing over the past few years. I decided to let Michael stay in his class until 3pm everyday to give me a few extra hours in front of the computer.

I also had to make sure that the teachers would use whatever I developed, as otherwise, it would all be wasted as I wouldn't be here to defend it and make sure that everyone used it. So, as soon as I finished anything, I would have to take it around to all the teachers to get their feedback, and then change anything one of them didn't like.

If I hadn't been pregnant with Michael and had decided to stay in Taiwan four years ago, they would have made me principal. I'm so glad I left. One week is plenty!

No comments: