Saturday 16 February 2008

Taipei Main Station on a Saturday Night

We actually had a bit of sun this morning, so we decided to explore. Our apartment is on a hill, and all the stores are at the bottom of the hill. I figured there must be a quick way down the hill by foot, as I didn't want to walk along the long winding road. I was right, of course. (I'm always right - just ask my husband.) We found these stairs. They were a little steep for Michael, but doable. It felt like we were walking through a jungle because the foliage was so thick, we couldn't see anything but the stairs.


At the bottom, we found two convenience stores and the library. I was amazed to see a Slurpee machine in the 7-11, as when we were here four years ago, they didn't exist. In a place as hot as Taiwan, you'd think they'd be a bestseller.

Michael wanted to go in the library. We found the children's section, but there was not a single English book to be seen. So, I had to make up words for the books Michael wanted me to read. There were some surprising plot changes half way through as I realized that I had gotten the story completely wrong.

We walked further down the road and found the fire station, an elementary school, an outdoor public pool (with a children's pool with spouts and a waterslide), and a playground with some other kids.

Michael was really happy to be playing ouside. He was filthy by the end, so I decided it was time to go back home and clean up. We walked up 219 stairs. Yes, I counted.

Michael had an afternoon nap, so I decided to be really adventurous and go to the computer market near Taipei Main Station to get a USB Flash Drive so I wouldn't have to lug my laptop to school anymore. I forgot what a madhouse it is on the main MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) lines on Saturdays.

Hordes and hordes of people, all walking as fast as they can, all in different directions. I'm surprised we didn't get trampled. I thought I knew where the computer market was, but got completely turned around and lost and didn't get anywhere near it. I did buy Michael a Thomas puzzle. It's six blocks and therefore, six different puzzles. I figured it would keep him occupied at church. He can stack blocks or do the puzzles. It seems like everytime I go out with him, I either buy him a treat or a toy. He's going to have a rough time going back to Canada.

When we got out of the mall, we were in a cool area, kind of night marketish, with tonnes of little shops in the alleys. I wish I could have looked around more, but with Michael, it's impossible. So, I spent the entire time looking for something that I could feed Michael for supper. There were no food stands anywhere! I did find one that sold little turnover cakes (in unidentifiable character molds), and Michael liked those. Then I got him a drink at 7-11. The slurpee machine in there said "Coke" and "Strawberry" except that the strawberry one was orange. It still might have been strawberry. In Taiwan, you never know. I wasn't about to try it.

We finally found an alley with a whole bunch of hole in the wall food "restaurants". Michael tried to drag me in a noodle shop, but I had no idea what to order, so I found another stand where a dad and his kid were eating boiled dumplings, so I just pointed, ordered 10, then gave her two fifty coins. She gave me back the fifty plus another ten. Oops. I'm glad most people are so honest.

We braved the crowds again and came back home via two trains and a bus. Going anywhere with Michael is pretty exhausting, especially when there's nowhere to sit. I know there's a few buses that would have been much more convenient, but I had no idea where to find them.

No comments: