Sunday 30 March 2008

Setting Up Michael's "New Bedroom"

Robert has been worrying about where the boys were going to sleep when he and Jeremy arrive. Michael just sleeps with me right now, and although he kicks and loves sleeping sideways across the bed, it's worked out pretty well - especially since I'm right there whenever he has a middle of the night nosebleed. I'm afraid we've ruined the beautiful bedset May lent to us. I've wanted to buy a simpler, cheaper sheet set, one that I can wash myself in my little washing machine, but I was never sure of my bed size, as asian sizes are different.

This week, I finally measured my bed - using medium garbage bags. They were the only items I could find in my apartment that had a measurement on them. I forget the exact measurements now, but our bed is approximately two and a half garbage bags wide and three and a quarter tall. I calculated what it worked out into in centimeters and inches for when I went to the store. I also measured out our pull out couch, which is where I plan on putting the boys to sleep. It was a little longer and narrower than the bed, but close enough that I figured the same size sheet would fit on both.

At the store, I looked everywhere for measurements in cm or inches. Nothing. They're all in some strange measurements without any units. Finally I found a few labels with the strange units and cm as well, and figured out that my bed is a 5 x 6.2. Maybe it's in feet? I have no idea. I also bought a couple of cute pillows in the shape of teddy bear heads for the boys.

Today was pouring rain, so we decided to set up the bedroom. Michael was so excited. He decided which pillow was his and which was Jeremy's, and which blankets they would use. He then proceeded to jump from the edge of the couch onto the mattress (it's one of those pull out couches that isn't on a frame, it just pulls out and lays on the floor). That entertained him for quite a while.

Then he decided to take a rest. But does he do it in his new bed? No. He takes out a mat (the kind that he naps on at school), lies down with all the books he has here, gets me to tuck him in and "reads" to himself.


I asked him if he wanted to start sleeping in his new room. He said yes, but then changed his mind when it was actually time to go to sleep. I'm not sure how this is going to work later!

We made another batch of oatmeal cookies. They are so addictive. I only bake a dozen at a time, and they're gone within a couple of hours. I cannot even put the blame on Michael. He seems to have a lot of self control when it comes to sweets. He'll always have some, but he never has a lot. He didn't get that from me! Anyways, the recipe is under "Beth's Spicy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies" on http://www.allrecipes.com/ if you're interested.

No comments: