Sunday 20 April 2008

Oops

Sunday was the day that just didn't work out the way it should have. Trina suggested we go to the flower market, the big one, and invite Joseph to come with us. He was working, either because of the time he took off to pick me up from the airport or because of the time he's taking off next Saturday to show us other parts of the island. It's very kind of him.

We took the bus half way across town, wondering if we would recognise our stop. We did, but the flower market was obviously closed. I don't know how to say "You're closed, huh?" in Chinese, but the guard figured what I wanted and said they're open every day but Sunday. So off to our next stop.

I somehow got the idea, before coming, that TaiChi class would be an interesting part of Chinese culture to see while I'm here. The most famous is held on Sunday mornings in the courtyard of a junior high school. There were three groups, of older students, younger students and children. I spoke with the woman at the front for a few moments (in Chinese) and she invited us in to observe. I didn't want to annoy them, so we only stayed for a few minutes. Watching the kids was cute, and funny, because their movements seemed so weak and awkward. I bet they could throw me on my butt, so we didn't laugh.



We hopped on the train, which Michael was excited about, and went to the Sogo stop for sandwiches. But Sogo was closed. I guess stores don't open until 11:00am or 12:00pm, but they stay open later. Okay, Trina thought she knew of a yoghurt place that sold waffles. We didn't find that, either. We did find a food stall selling green onion pancakes and a playground, though, so Michael and Jeremy and I played while Trina went and got snacks for church at the supermarket. I realised later that I got a very faint sunburn while we were playing there, but that sure beats the 25cm of snow Trina said that Calgary was expecting.

Other than the taichi class, Church was the only thing that went right. I got to speak with Bishop Chiles for a few minutes, which was nice. I got no sympathy for my jetlag, because he had arrived from a US trip at 6:30am that same morning. I don't know how he does it and I'm impressed by his energy and optimism.

Annie was supposed to play with Michael in the afternoon and then take him for supper. I think she had a friend over, but she came and rang the doorbell (a bone-jarring buzz). Michael went outside to the basketball court and, of course, Jeremy followed. So I went, too. They threw the ball a bit and Michael brought out his "bike" for him and Jeremy to take turns. The four or five older kids (around 12 years old?) also had their bikes and basketballs, so the boys felt like they were part of the fun. For about 15 minutes. That's when they wandered off home and that was the end of Michael's playdate. The four of us ate supper together and then I spent quite a bit of time playing trains with Michael and Jeremy. Us boys are sure happy to be together again.

After bathtime, I couldn't keep my eyes open another minute and I fell asleep on Michael's bed. In the middle of a bedtime story. He prodded me to finish it, then we both went to sleep.

No comments: